Sunday, September 16, 2012

Accessing antenatal care - help for young mothers

When you find out that you are pregnant, it’s important to contact an NHS professional as soon as possible.
You can book an appointment directly with a midwife. Your GP surgery will be able to put you in touch with your nearest midwife service.
If you have special health needs, your midwife, GP or other doctors may take shared responsibility for your maternity care.
Your first or second meeting with your midwife is the booking appointment. This will last for up to two hours and could take place at a hospital, in a clinic or a Children’s Centre, in a GP surgery or at home. Your midwife will ask you many questions about your health, the health of your family and your preferences in order to develop your own plan of care. Your midwife will order a number of blood tests and scans, which will be done throughout your pregnancy. The results of these tests may affect your choices later in pregnancy, so it’s important not to miss them. Your midwife will also ask about any other help or social care support you may have or need – for example support from social workers or family liaison officers.
Single pregnant and lonely
If you are pregnant and on your own, it is even more important that there are people with whom you can share your feelings and who can offer you support. Sorting out problems, whether personal or medical, is often difficult when you are by yourself, and it is better to find someone to talk to rather than let things get you down.
Help for young mothers
If you are a young mum, there are a wide range of services to support you when you are pregnant and after you have had your baby. Your midwife or health visitor will be able to give you details of local services.
Education during pregnancy
Becoming a mother certainly does not have to mean the end of your education. If you are still of compulsory school age, your school should not exclude you on grounds of pregnancy or health and safety issues connected with your pregnancy. However, they may talk to you about making alternative arrangements for your education. You will be allowed up to 18 calendar weeks off school before and after the birth.
After your return to education, you can get help with childcare costs through the Care to Learn scheme. Care to Learn also provides support with childcare costs for teenage parents above the compulsory schooling age who want to study. You may also be eligible for the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA), which is available for young people between 16 and 18.
EMA provides up to £30 a week. The following national organizations can also give you help and advice:
Brook centers: If you are under 25, you can visit a Brook centre for free, confidential advice.
Connexions: Teenagers in England can get help and advice from the Connexions service. You have the offer of support from a personal adviser to help deal with a variety of issues so that you can make the best choices for your future. You can find Connexions advisers in a variety of places, including schools, colleges and one-stop shops and through youth and community projects.
Homes for young mothers
Many young mothers want to carry on living with their own family until they are ready to move on. If you are unable to live with your family, your local authority may be able to help you with housing. Some local authorities provide specialized accommodation where young mothers can live independently while getting support and advice from trained workers. For more information about housing, contact your local authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment