Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Antenatal care team - obstetrician, anesthetist and Pediatrician

An obstetrician: An obstetrician is a doctor specializing in the care of women during pregnancy and labor and after the birth.
Your midwife or GP will refer you for an appointment with an obstetrician if they have a particular concern, such as previous complications in pregnancy or chronic illness.
You can request to see an obstetrician if you have any particular concerns.
An anesthetist  
An anesthetist is a doctor who specializes in providing pain relief and anesthesia. If you decide to have an epidural, it will be set up by an anesthetist.
If you require a caesarean section or an instrumental delivery (e.g. using forceps or ventouse, an anesthetist will provide the appropriate anesthesia.
In many hospitals your midwife can arrange for you to talk to an anesthetist about analgesia or anesthesia if you have medical or obstetric problems. Before or during labor you will be able to speak to your anesthetist.
Pediatrician’s role after birth  
Pediatrician is a doctor specializing in the care of babies and children. A pediatrician may check your baby after the birth to make sure all is well and will be present when your baby is born if you have had a difficult labor. If your baby has any problems, you will be able to talk this over with the pediatrician. If your baby is born at home or your stay in hospital is short, you may not see a pediatrician at all. Your midwife or GP will check that all is well with you and your baby.
A sonographer
A sonographer is specially trained to carry out ultrasound scans. A sonographer will perform your dating and nuchal translucency or anomaly scan. Some women are scanned at other points in their pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment